Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Space Portals forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

New to group 3 years 1 month ago #559

• tla
  • tla's Avatar Topic Author
@afiedler1 It is weird how genetics work isn't it. In my family there are 9 of us, we have 1 blond 1 redhead, different variations of eyes. My brother has gray eyes, 3 sisters have blue eyes, and the rest are brown eyes. My father is 25% Native American like 2% Chippewa and 23% Apache, out of all of us I have the darkest skin, but it is lightening a bit as I get older, but I tan really easy, my poor sister with red hair has to wear sunscreen everywhere. She used to joke that if all her freckles would just move together she would have a nice tan (lol). Most of us had our DNA done on Ancestry including my parents. My mother has been working on Genealogy for years and has huge volumes of things she has found on her trips to Europe (people we are related to). My sister with red hair did not inherit any Native American, the blond one inherited 2%, but I inherited 12%. So I bet you do have some red in there somewhere, you never know where it will pop up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to group 3 years 1 month ago #566

I'm on Ancestry and Family Tree Now [which is free]. They operate differently from each other. I've been trying to 'reconcile' the trees. The one on Ancestry was whole families, the one on FTN is my ancestors only.

Genealogy online is very different from the old way. In some ways easier, and others it's easier to make major mistakes.

I did the DNA test through Ancestry. Activated Dec 10th and still don't have results. I'm considering asking for my money back.
But I figured that all the spy agencies already have my personal DNA, that I should have it too.

New to group 3 years 1 month ago #568

• tla
@afiedler1 I was at first scared, and it took a while to get mine back like 3 months too. I had it done on 23andme and on Ancestry in Jan 2019ish, I am also a member of Family Search. My family has been big into Genealogy for a long time and collecting data for generations. My grandfather on my father's side was an orphan. We had always wondered about that side of the family, through DNA we found his father to be the town doctor and his mother to be white mountain apache, and have been able to connect relatives using the DNA results. Someone told me that they didn't need to get your DNA from one of these places because they already had it. So I freaked out for a second, then thought about it for a second, and realized this person was right. You don't have to share the details if you don't want to. I did 23andme first at my sister's request, I didn't like that they changed the policy a few times on the collection of DNA, but I did like Ancestry. I have to agree with @PennyBradley, I wanted to know and have a copy for myself.

Ancestry... 3 years 1 day ago #590

Penny,

Ancestry is notoriously SLOW... being Ex Mormon they are very active on Ancestry... but don't trust other people's trees. Verify source documents. Your DNA will come back, right now with Covid they have to run with a lot of extra protocol and are short staffed.

I have a degree from BYU in "Family History" their term for Genealogy.
Ian Starchild
System Administrator
Resident Medical BAMF

Last edit: by Ian.

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #592

• tla
@Ian Ancestry has a deal with the LDS Church (Mormons) they can get Ancestry for free. Even if you are inactive. I grew up in Utah I was one of the weird ones that was not LDS while growing up. Most of my neighbors are though one of my friends introduced us to Genealogy. My mother used to go to the Family Search building and they would let her use the Ancestry Building even though she was not LDS at that time. So if anyone is interested you can join Family Search for free and have access to their databases. My Great Grandfather was from Germany and he paid someone to go look through all the old church records. My mother found the Family Search Databases nice for that reason it is all scanned in now and "free". They do have some extensive databases which made it nice for tracking down my Father's family too. His father was orphaned at about age 9. When we found out that he was Apache, (he always told us he was but everyone says they are a quarter native american, my mother said it was popular in the 60's and 70's :shrug: I am not so sure about this, but I digress). We were able to genetically connect to family that are in the White Mountain Apache Arizona area and even found his birth certificate that says he was born on the Apache Reservation. Its nice to pinpoint where you are from, and meet the odd second cousin, that asks how are we genetically connected. Anyways if you are interested Family Search is free to anyone.

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #593

That's so freaking funny my story is the same except for it was my great great grandmother and she was Cherokee this was around the time of the trail of tears, they settled in Idaho . I'm having a hard time with one of my Utah Realtors it's looking like it's going to end up in German and the majority of what I've been told was swedish ancestors are apparently Germans .Growing up in Utah non LDS I like to say prepared me for the streets of life apparently I didn't know how true that was. I didn't know much about Mormon religion and when I read that when their alien god came from the sky he would flip his switch and activate his army (experiencers). I don't know why that doesn't concern normal f****** people but by the point I'd read that I was just like oh f***is that what's happening to me maybe then I found you guys

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds