Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Space Portals forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #590

Penny,

Ancestry is notoriously SLOW... being Ex Mormon they are very active on Ancestry... but don't trust other people's trees. Verify source documents. Your DNA will come back, right now with Covid they have to run with a lot of extra protocol and are short staffed.

I have a degree from BYU in "Family History" their term for Genealogy.
Ian Starchild
System Administrator
Resident Medical BAMF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ian.

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #592

• tla
  • tla's Avatar Topic Author
@Ian Ancestry has a deal with the LDS Church (Mormons) they can get Ancestry for free. Even if you are inactive. I grew up in Utah I was one of the weird ones that was not LDS while growing up. Most of my neighbors are though one of my friends introduced us to Genealogy. My mother used to go to the Family Search building and they would let her use the Ancestry Building even though she was not LDS at that time. So if anyone is interested you can join Family Search for free and have access to their databases. My Great Grandfather was from Germany and he paid someone to go look through all the old church records. My mother found the Family Search Databases nice for that reason it is all scanned in now and "free". They do have some extensive databases which made it nice for tracking down my Father's family too. His father was orphaned at about age 9. When we found out that he was Apache, (he always told us he was but everyone says they are a quarter native american, my mother said it was popular in the 60's and 70's :shrug: I am not so sure about this, but I digress). We were able to genetically connect to family that are in the White Mountain Apache Arizona area and even found his birth certificate that says he was born on the Apache Reservation. Its nice to pinpoint where you are from, and meet the odd second cousin, that asks how are we genetically connected. Anyways if you are interested Family Search is free to anyone.

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #593

That's so freaking funny my story is the same except for it was my great great grandmother and she was Cherokee this was around the time of the trail of tears, they settled in Idaho . I'm having a hard time with one of my Utah Realtors it's looking like it's going to end up in German and the majority of what I've been told was swedish ancestors are apparently Germans .Growing up in Utah non LDS I like to say prepared me for the streets of life apparently I didn't know how true that was. I didn't know much about Mormon religion and when I read that when their alien god came from the sky he would flip his switch and activate his army (experiencers). I don't know why that doesn't concern normal f****** people but by the point I'd read that I was just like oh f***is that what's happening to me maybe then I found you guys

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #595

tla wrote: @Ian Ancestry has a deal with the LDS Church (Mormons) they can get Ancestry for free. Even if you are inactive. I grew up in Utah I was one of the weird ones that was not LDS while growing up.

Yes that does not help me when I paid so many years ago for lifetime access... but then I get access to fold 3 and newspapers.com as well, which the Church members must pay for... plus they get a deal with myheritage, and findmypast too.
Ian Starchild
System Administrator
Resident Medical BAMF

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #596

Sam131 wrote: I didn't know much about Mormon religion and when I read that when their alien god came from the sky he would flip his switch and activate his army (experiencers).

It is true... you don't learn that until you progress high into the priesthood. The mormon God comes from a star called Kobol... and disclosure in science fiction has been around for a long long time. The 1970s series Battlestar Galactica actually disclosed so much about the Mormon religion... you really have to pay attention to it, but it is there.
Ian Starchild
System Administrator
Resident Medical BAMF

Ancestry... 2 years 11 months ago #601

• tla
  • tla's Avatar Topic Author
@Ian I almost forgot about that they used to talk about it all the time in college, I went to USU. Something about the quorum of the 12, you can google it. Just type in Mormonism and Battle Star Galactica. Its an interesting read

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds